This workshop aims to equip participants with an overview of the essentials of category management. It explores roles, key activities, tools, and methods category managers use to drive value from the procurement process.
This intensive one-day workshop provides a high level overview of the end to-end category management process.
This course is designed for:
The workshop will benefit those who are involved in strategic sourcing and category management. In particular this course will benefit people who are new to category management or who may contribute to category management as part of their duties, or those who require a ‘refresher’.
The pre-workshop activity will stimulate thought about the role of a category manager in contributing to organisational results. The workshop will be led by an experienced facilitator, and will include nine sessions involving exercises, case studies, presentations and facilitated discussions. The post-workshop activity will seek to reinforce the learning and to maximise the transfer of knowledge from the workshop to the workplace.
Benefits of attending
Attendance will help raise awareness of the category management process and the tools that may be used.
As well as this participants will gain three key benefits from attending:
- Greater appreciation of what category management involves, and the importance of category management to deliver better outcomes
- Greater appreciation of the tools and other resources available to support category managers
- Reduced likelihood of the category management process failing to realise the planned benefits
Key learning outcomes
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe the category management framework and identify the ways in which value may be created or lost through effective (or ineffective) category management
- Define the role of the category manager and describe (in overview) how that role relates to other stakeholders supporting effective category management
- Identify the tools and resources that are appropriate at each phase of category management
What is category management and the role of a category manager?
- Category management compared with sourcing and procurement
- The category management framework
- How category management can deliver better outcomes
- What is the role of a category manager?
Understanding our needs
- Understanding our stakeholders
- Spend analysis
- Demand analysis
- Understanding the outcomes we are seeking and identifying opportunities
- Attributes of suppliers
- Understanding markets and market dynamics
- Identify strategic suppliers
Getting better value for money
- Developing options; how can we create the value?
- Selection of options; how will we get the value?
- Making sure we keep the value; contract/financial administration
Planning for success
- Developing a category management plan
- Ensuring stakeholder alignment
- Planning for success
Making sure we keep the value
- Monitoring and reporting upon performance of the category management plan
- Understanding supplier relationship management
- Contract management in practice and the role of the category manager
Managing the contract
- The contract management plan and its relevance to category management
- Completing the contract management plan in
- Using the plan during contract management
Key challenges of category management
- Measuring progress toward policy goals and outcomes
- Co-ordinating multiple interests
- Who to contact for more information
Resources that can help:
- Tool library – also check within your agency
- Key tools and their application
- Tips, tricks and traps